Making a Complain


Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry’s standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

You should contact the energy company directly. The phone number and website will be on your energy bill.

Explain to the energy company what the problem is and what you want them to do about it.

The Citizens Advice consumer service can help you through the process if you can’t find the energy company’s details or need support. They will give you information and advice, and lend you their expertise if you need it.

What should I do if I have a complaint or inquiry about an energy Supplier?

If you have a complaint or enquiry about an energy supplier or network operator you should contact that company directly in the first instance. When you contact them, explain the issue and ask them to resolve it. You can make a complaint by email, in writing or on the phone.

All companies are required through strict complaints handling standards to deal proactively with complaints from domestic  consumers. They all have complaints procedures detailing how they do this.

The energy company should respond and try to resolve your complaint. You then need to decide if you think their response is reasonable and will solve the problem you have. If it doesn’t, tell them.

What if my complaint is not resolved by the energy company?

If the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction and either eight weeks have passed since the complaint was made, or it reaches a point of deadlock (where the energy company says it can do no more to resolve the complaint, whichever is sooner), you can ask Ombudsman Services: Energy to investigate. The energy company should write to you at eight weeks or deadlock to tell you how to do this.

What is PUCSL role in complaints and Inquiries?

We don’t have a direct role in dealing with individual disputes between customers and energy suppliers. We collect information from a range of sources as part of our market monitoring activity, and keep markets under review to ensure that all licensees comply with the relevant legislation and licence obligations. If you want to find out more about how we do this, please look at our factsheet

There are circumstances in which a dispute between a network company and a customer may be referred to the Authority (our governing body) for determination. These circumstances are set out in statute, in particular, the Gas Act 1986 and the Electricity Act 1989 (the Acts) and in the licence obligations on network companies. For more information please see our guidance document